COVID-19 Update: Text4Hope, AGLC Update, Neighbours helping Neighbours
Three themes (with attachments) for today that may be helpful for your organization/community:
1. Information from AHS: Text4Hope and Information for Seniors around COVID-19,
2. Updated information from AGLC around Use of Proceeds, and
3. Information on Neighbours helping Neighbours, & Calgarian supports.
1. Text4Hope: The Mental Health Foundation, in partnership with Calgary Health Trust, the University Hospital Foundation, the Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation, and the Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation, is supporting a new Alberta Health Services program Text4Hope – a free service providing three months of daily Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)–based text messages written by mental health therapists. Community members simply subscribe to receive ongoing supportive content. There is no cost.How to Connect:
Text COVID19HOPE to 393939 to subscribe.
The program provides one-way communication and does not replace other mental health therapies and supports. It is a helpful option for people in self-isolation who can’t access face-to-face services, as well as those in remote locations.
All mental health support lines remain open. For details on what is available in your health region, visit this AHS resource.
Q & A Sheet for Seniors (attached):We received the attached "QAs - Seniors and Housing" sheet today from the Government of Alberta and were asked to distribute it as necessary to those that are communicating with seniors. If you are receiving questions that are not addressed in this Q & A, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and the document with be updated appropriately.
2. AGLC - Use of Proceeds Q & A (attached): As you may be aware, AGLC released an update yesterday regarding Use of Proceed allowances for casino funds. The full Q&A can be found here:
The main updates you may be interested in include:
Facility - Groups may now use 100% for operating expenses on the facility, compared to 50% in the past
Wages/Salaries - Gaming proceeds can be used on wages/salaries that provide charitable services
Emergency Assistance – proceeds can be used to assist individuals who are facing dire or serious circumstances
As always, if your group is unsure please connect with AGLC directly to ask case by case questions. The direct contact is: email@example.com with subject line COVID 19 UOP Request.
You can also keep up to date on future AGLC updates by checking out their website here: https://aglc.ca/covid-19
3. Neighbours helping Neighbours (5+2 attachments): The Cliff Bungalow-Mission Community Association would like to share their CA's initiative outlines with other groups, in hopes they are of value to you if, and when, you put together your own community responses to the pandemic crisis. Attached are the CBMCA's outlines on: 1. Access to financial relief, 2. Community resiliency, 3. Grocery delivery, 4. Health care worker support, 5. Local business support. If your group has practices/initiatives you've put in place that you would like to share with other CAs/SRGs, please let me know.
The City of Calgary is assisting in the Neighbours helping Neighbours (NhN) initiative. Some of our colleagues have developed the # 3things4neighbours campaign and are collecting/developing practical tools that we can distribute to residents to maintain community connections and decrease social isolation during this time. As such, please see attached The City's:
Community Connection Ideas PDF
"I can help" postcard
Please share/use these materials as you see fit.
Lastly, just as I was about to hit send on this email, the Ward 9 team sent an update related to COVID-19 and the information on their website. Please visit: https://www.gccarra.ca/covid19
for further information on supports available to Calgarians. *There is updated information on supports available for non-profit organizations, businesses, and employers that I have not previously sent including the “Calgary Foundation: Pandemic Recovery Program,” as well as, the “Calgary COVID-19 Community Response Fund.”